Facebook has said it will block “praise, support, and representation of white nationalism and separatism” on Facebook and Instagram, starting next week.
The Social media giant also promised to improve its ability to identify and block material from terrorist groups.Facebook users looking for offensive terms turn to a charity that fights right-wing extremism.
The social network is under pressure after a man attacked two mosques In new Zealand.
Facebook had previously approved some white nationalist content that did not consider it racist – including permission for users to call for the creation of white ethno states.
The people were killed as they prayed
The company stated that it had regarded white nationalism as an acceptable form of expression on an equal footing with “things like American pride and Basque separatism, which are an important part of people’s identity”.
But in a blog post on Wednesday, she said that after three months of consulting with “members of civil society and academics” that white nationalism could not be “significantly” separated from white supremacy and organized hate groups.
“Not only the postman”
As part of the shootings in New Zealand earlier this month, several world leaders called on social media companies to take more responsibility for the extremist material posted on their platforms.
New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said that social networks are “the publisher, not just the postman”, in relation to their possible liability for the Material being shared on them.
Facebook has previously acknowledged that a video of the attack, in which 50 people died, was viewed more than 4000 times before it was shot down.
The company announced that it had blocked 1.2 million copies within 24 hours at the time of upload and deleted another 300,000.
A group of French Muslims suing Facebook and YouTube to publish the footage on their platforms.
Other tech groups have also taken steps to reduce video sharing. Reddit banned an existing discussion forum on its Website called “watchpeopledie” after clips of the attack were shared in the forum.
Valve, which operates the Steam gaming network, said it has removed more than 100 “Tribute” from users who wanted to memorize the alleged shooter.